Written by Melvena Wilson, WCHD Friday, 15 June 2007 03:59
Mosquito Season is Here!!!
Did you know that the area around your home could be the biggest source of mosquitos?
Ten Things You Can Do to Reduce Mosquitos:
1. Empty all pans and saucers under potted plants
2. Eliminate any standing water in the yard and keep the grass mowed
3. Keep all roof gutters clean of debris
4. Replace water in pet dishes and animal troughs every day
5. Discard old tires, or stack flat and keep them covered
6. Maintain swimming and wading pools
7. Fill tree holes with sand or cement
8. Stock natural or man-made ponds with mosquito fish (Gambusia)
9. Keep boats covered and bilge empty
10. Keep bird baths, barbecue grills, wheel barrows, etc. overturned or flushed once a week
Yards should be checked for mosquito breeding in all of the above locations. A small amount of water can breed hundreds of mosquito larvae!
Requests for spraying of the chemical pesticide Malathion can be made by alling 926-2558, or by completing a Mosquito Complaint Form online at www.wakullahealth.com. Information on Malathion can be obtained from the Mosquito Control Department.
DUE TO CHANGES IN THE WAY WAKULLA COUNTY MOSQUITO CONTROL REPORTS TO THE DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE, CITIZENS MUST CALL EVERY TIME THEY WANT TO BE SPRAYED AND THE COMPLAINT MUST BE VERIFIED BY MOSQUITO CONTROL PERSONNEL.
This article originally published on June 15, 2007.
|< Prev||Next >|