Written by Melisa Taylor, The Learning Curve Tutoring Center Monday, 14 May 2012 10:15
So you want to go to college, but where do you begin? Melisa Taylor with The Learning Curve Tutoring Center will be offering free seminars this summer designed to answer many of the questions parents and students may have as they begin to plan for college.There will be two separate workshops; GET ME TO COLLEGE NOW! is offered for students who will be seniors in the 2012-13 school year. These students must expedite the process of completing activities, community service, financial aid, college, and scholarship applications.
The second GET ME TO COLLEGE seminar is for parents of students entering 9th – 11th grades in the 2012-13 school year. They have more time to complete the necessary steps needed to assure college acceptance and the financial aid needed to get to the student’s college of choice; however, the earlier students and parents begin to prepare for the college process, the easier it is to be viewed as a stronger candidate for each college.
Some of the topics that will be addressed at the free seminar are:
• What does it really cost to go to college today?
• Which classes do I need to take in high school?
• When do I begin to take the ACT or SAT test?
• Is the PSAT test important to me?
• What will Florida’s Bright Futures scholarship be like when I get to college?
• How much is my family expected to contribute to my college education?
• Are there other scholarships available?
• Which college is right for me?
• How do I choose a major?
• Is community service important?
• What kind of community service is worthwhile for admissions?
• How do I sell myself and my activities to a college?
• How will my chances of entering the college I desire be affected by my grades freshman year?
• What should I be doing each year?
• Is there a difference between preparing to go to a Florida college or an Ivy League college?
• When should I apply for college?
The seminars should be attended by both a parent and his/her student, and each family will leave with a notebook/checklist of steps to take to become a sought after candidate. With the increase in the number of students applying to college, competition is fierce, and students must take the initiative to be the type of student each college desires.
Due to limited seating, parents must register in advance at 926-2179 or online at: http://tlctutoring.wordpress.com/get-me-to-college to attend the free seminars.
GET ME TO COLLEGE NOW! For 2012-13 SENIORS (only attend 1 below):
May 24, 6-7:30 pm
June 12, 6-7:30 pm
June 19, 6-7:30 pm
June 26, 6-7:30 pm
GET ME TO COLLEGE! - For Students entering 9th – 11th grades in 2012-13 (only attend 1 below):
July 10, 6-7:30 pm
July 26, 6-7:30 pm
July 31, 6-7:30 pm
|< Prev||Next >|
You need to login or register to post comments.
Discuss this item on the forums. (0 posts)