Written by Publisher, Wakulla.com Wednesday, 18 October 2006 02:45
Wakulla Health Care Task Force
September 19, 2006
Members Present: Tomica Archie-Smith, Lynn Artz, Pat Ashley, Fran Council, Mel Gaston, Marlon Hunter, David Keen, Lynn Maxwell, Cathy Price, Debbie Reich, Edie Rowell, Lu Stringer, Stella Von Troil, William Tully, Mary Westbrook
I. Welcome and Introductions
II. Approval of Minutes
No changes made to August minutes.
III. Wakulla County Youth Summit Presentation
Wakulla County Coalition for Youth is sponsoring the 1st Annual Youth Summit on Substance Abuse Prevention October 7th, 2006, 10:00 AM to 2:00PM at Riversprings Middle School. Any agencies or vendors interested in participating or contributing financially, contact Yvonne Woodard at 926-0024.
IV. Presentation on Emergency Medical Services (EMS)
Fran Council described plans and vision for EMS in Wakulla. County Commissioners are currently working on the County budget which includes funding for EMS. Items in the budget include: a third EMS station located in Eastern Wakulla, 2 supervisor positions, second truck for Crawfordville station, and remodeling Crawfordville station. Future goals include: improving the billing process, improving safety for employees (i.e. automated stretchers, stair chairs), providing community education, and building a pool of paramedics in preparation for disaster. A long term goal is to completely rebuild Crawfordville Station to meet hurricane building standards and to adequately house responders during time of disaster.
EMS recently obtained 2 stair chairs from the Rotary Club and one stair chair from a grant. Also, a mobile tower for emergency backup was obtained through grant funding.
EMS is currently offering a paramedic scholarship as a way to increase interest in the profession. Fran Council also stated that she plans to teach an EMT class at TCC in the near future.
V. Presentation: Pneumococcal Immunization Draft Plan
VI. Tobacco Data
Presentation by Debbie Reich: Please see attachment.
Tobacco Control Five Year Plan: Presentation by Lynn Artz: Please see attachment.
VII. Draft Time Line of Task Force Activities
Presentation by Lynn Artz: Please see attachment.
VIII. Provider Updates
• Marlon Hunter/Wakulla County Health Department reported that in the near future the health department will be receiving general revenue funds to create a full-time position to address chronic disease issues within the county. This position’s job description will include active involvement in the Health Care Task Force.
• Pat Ashley announced that the Alzheimer Resource Center of Tallahassee is sponsoring the “2006 Walk for Caregivers” November 4th from 10:00AM to 2:00PM at Southwood. For more information call (850) 561-6869 or go to www.arc-tallahassee.org.
• Mel Gaston/Tallahassee Orthopedic Clinic announced that beginning in October he will provide orthopedic spine care at the Wakulla Urgent Care office on the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of every month. He will begin working only half days with the option of expanding as needed.
• Edie Rowell/NHC Homecare announced that the Crawfordville Office won the “Home Care of the Year Award for 2005”.
• Dr Keen announced expanding his services to Primary Care in addition to the Urgent Care services already being provided. Most insurance are accepted.
• Dr. Von Troil introduced herself as the new physician at Wakulla Family Medicine who also works at Wakulla County Health Department two days per week. She expressed special interest in Chronic Disease and a special desire to address “Obesity”. She also expressed concern, based on interaction with patients, on issues related to MRSA and Personal Hygiene.
• Mary Westbrook/Healthy Start announced Parent Class being held September 28th from 9:00AM to 11:00PM at the Wakulla County Health Department. The TMH Neuroscience Center will present on Brain and Spinal Cord Injury Prevention. Healthy Start is also working on two grant proposals: 1) Car Seat Program 2) Community Wide Baby Shower.
• A Time to Change Counseling Center is now accepting referrals for children with Medicaid. For more information, call 926-1900.
IX. Meeting Adjourned
These minutes originally published on October 18, 2006.
|< Prev||Next >|
You need to login or register to post comments.
Discuss this item on the forums. (0 posts)